Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
No need for cheese.
Make and share this Spaghetti Baked With a Gutsy Roasted Tomato Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 414.03 ml canned tomato puree
- 4 coarsely chopped anchovy fillets
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 garlic clove, minced
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1.23 ml chopped wild fennel (may substitute fennel fronds or 1/4 t. ground fennel seeds)
- 1.23 ml dried oregano
- 1.23 ml sea salt
- crushed red pepper flakes (a pinch or two)
- coarsely ground fresh pepper
- 78.07 ml homemade unflavored breadcrumbs
- 226.79 g dried spaghetti
- Heat oven to 350°; bring a big pot of water to a boil.
- Combine the tomato puree, anchovies, ¼ cup olive oil, garlic, parsley, fennel, oregano, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper in a large ceramic casserole dish; bake for 30 minutes.
- Toast the bread crumbs by heating the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a small saute pan.
- When the oil is very hot, toss in the bread crumbs and stir for 1-2 minutes, or until they are browned a bit, but not too dark.
- Transfer immediately to a small bowl; set aside.
- When the tomatoes have been in the oven for 25 minutes, generously salt the boiling pasta water and drop in the spaghetti.
- Cook, stirring often, to parboil, about 5 minutes; drain spaghetti, reserving ½ cup water.
- Remove the tomatoes from the oven; toss the spaghetti on top of the tomatoes.
- Add ¼ cup reserved cooking water and toss together; there should be plenty of moisture in the dish.
- If not, add a tablespoon or more pasta water and toss again.
- Bake for 5 minutes until bubbly and hot; serve right away with toasted bread crumbs sprinkled on top.