Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Freezer full of deer meat and had to come up with something new. So my daughter and I came up with this for dinner. This could be a Oamc meal just cool meatballs and freeze, freeze sauce and when the time comes place thawed into stock pot and let simmer 30 minutes. Even easier for the cooking day would be to place the frozen meatballs in bottom of crock pot and broken up frozen sauce on top of meatballs turn on low all day.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground venison
- 1⁄2 cup fine chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced (large ones)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- minced mushroom stems
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced stems removed for meatballs
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 (28 ounce) canscrushed roma tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fine onion
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb pasta
- in stock pot place olive oil and saute onions until tender, add tomatoes, garlic, seasons and mushrooms let simmer.
- in large bowl place all ingredients (except bread crumbs) and mix very well to distribute the garlic and onion.
- add bread crumbs a little at a time and mix making sure that the meat will stick together, add more crumbs or torn bread if needed.
- make into balls that suit your size.
- fry or bake meatballs until done. for frying use a cast iron heavy skillet with a tiny bit of oil if necessary to prevent sticking.
- bake on a rack to help with dripping removal. at 400* for 20 minutes. add 1/2 cup water to pan turn up oven to 450* for 25 more minutes.
- put meatballs in sauce and simmer 30 minutes meanwhile cook pasta in hot salted water according to box directions.
- serve with garlic bread and a crisp salad a little vino if ya want.
This recipe is delicious! The mushrooms really compliment the meat in the meatballs. Recipe is easy to follow and it is good for any occasion. The meatballs and the sause freeze well too!