Recipe by Sharon123
This yummy recipe from Whole Foods is made easy using jarred pasta sauce. For even more flavor, add chopped pitted olives to the meatball mixture. Let the kids help roll the meatballs.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup cremini mushroom, roughly chopped
- 1 cup packed Baby Spinach
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup cooked black beans, rinsed, drained and divided (or pinto, chickpea, or beans of choice)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 8 ounces spaghetti (whole wheat)
- 1 (25 ounce) jar pasta sauce (or spaghetti sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and spinach. Cover and cook until mushrooms are tender and spinach wilts, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of a food processor, pulse sunflower seeds until coarsely ground. Add cooked vegetable mixture, half the beans, basil and oregano. Pulse until mixture is just coming together.
- In a large bowl, combine puréed mixture, remaining beans and rice. Stir until combined.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Form mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls and transfer to a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake meatballs 30 minutes or until heated through and crisp on the outside. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain well and return to pot. Add pasta sauce and toss until combined and heated through. Add meatballs and toss very gently to combine, taking care not to break up meatballs.
- Serve and enjoy.