Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
The BEST spaghetti & meatballs recipe we've ever had. I got this from an Italian friend and it's extremely easy. You'll never want to make it any other way after trying this.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic clove, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- italian seasoning
- 1 (6 ounce) can Italian-style tomato paste
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Italian-style tomato sauce
- 1⁄8 cup red wine
- 1 cup fennel head, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- garlic salt
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon garlic clove, minced
- fennel seed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) box thin spaghetti
- Mix together ground beef, Italian sausage, 1 tsp minced garlic, a sprinkle of fennel seed, small onion, dash of garlic salt, dash of pepper, dash of salt, 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, bread crumbs, eggs.
- Roll into balls and bake at 350 degrees until done (about 20 minutes).
- Sauté in 4 1/2 QT or bigger pan, medium onion, 1/2 TBL chopped garlic, chopped fennel in olive oil until onion is tender. Add 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, red wine, 1 tsp fennel seed, dash of garlic powder, dash of salt & pepper and 1 TBL sugar.
- Add the meatballs when they're done baking.
- Let simmer for an hour or more. Pan will be very full. I usually use a little less tomato sauce, so it's not so full.
- Serve over spaghetti noodles.
WONDERFUL. I have never made spaghetti before and was looking for a tasty recipe. This was was perfect. My husband and I loved it. I made the recipe as it is listed but couldn't get a hold of the fennel head. The only thing I added was red crushed peppers to add a zing to the sauce. Will make this again because it was tasty and overall easy to make. Thanks for posting.
This is a great recipe, I do not use the fennel just because I don't have it in my pantry, sometimes I use the red wine and sometimes I don't (depending if there is any in the house) tastes great either way I also add slices black olives.
I can't believe I haven't rated this recipe - it's delicious! I just made it for the third time today - love it. We thought the sauce was perfect and the meatballs divine (I had never baked them before and what a great idea - they actually stay round) Thanks for sharing!