Recipe by KadesMom
The BEST spaghetti & meatballs recipe we've ever had. I got this from an Italian friend and it's extremely easy. You'll never want to make it any other way after trying this.
Top Review by Dancer Who Loves To Cook
WONDERFUL. I have never made spaghetti before and was looking for a tasty recipe. This was was perfect. My husband and I loved it. I made the recipe as it is listed but couldn't get a hold of the fennel head. The only thing I added was red crushed peppers to add a zing to the sauce. Will make this again because it was tasty and overall easy to make. Thanks for posting.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic clove, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- italian seasoning
- 1 (6 ounce) can Italian-style tomato paste
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Italian-style tomato sauce
- 1⁄8 cup red wine
- 1 cup fennel head, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- garlic salt
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon garlic clove, minced
- fennel seed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) box thin spaghetti
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together ground beef, Italian sausage, 1 tsp minced garlic, a sprinkle of fennel seed, small onion, dash of garlic salt, dash of pepper, dash of salt, 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, bread crumbs, eggs.
- Roll into balls and bake at 350 degrees until done (about 20 minutes).
- Sauté in 4 1/2 QT or bigger pan, medium onion, 1/2 TBL chopped garlic, chopped fennel in olive oil until onion is tender. Add 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, red wine, 1 tsp fennel seed, dash of garlic powder, dash of salt & pepper and 1 TBL sugar.
- Add the meatballs when they're done baking.
- Let simmer for an hour or more. Pan will be very full. I usually use a little less tomato sauce, so it's not so full.
- Serve over spaghetti noodles.