Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
A simple, quick and very flavorful spaghetti sauce recipe
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet onions, chopped
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 (28 ounce) canshunt's whole tomatoes
- 2 (12 ounce) canshunt's tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 links johnsonville Italian sausage
- 1 lb lean hamburger
- 2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until onions are tender. Do not allow the onions or garlic to brown.
- Cut up whole tomatoes, taking care to discard any remaining peels, into 1/2- 3/4 inch pieces.
- Add cut up tomatoes, tomato paste and water to pot.
- Stir until paste is fully dissolved.
- Stir in salt, pepper, basil, bay leaves and sugar. Basil can be dried or fresh. If fresh basil is used, 10-15 leaves should be used, chopped.
- Adjust heat to a low simmer.
- In a separate bowl, mix hamburger and eggs. Add bread crumbs until mixture is sticky, and able to hold a ball shape. Roll into 1.5 - 2 inch meatballs and add to sauce.
- Add italian sausage to sauce.
- Simmer, stirring regularly for 1 hour. Stir gently at first to avoid deforming the meatballs. Be sure to stir with utensil on the bottom of the pot to prevent sauce from sticking and burning.