Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is so good, quick & easy to make, Kids will love it. Thicker than soup, yet thinner than stew. Serve with a loaf of crusty bread, Enjoy.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped into small dice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, from the heart,chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 cups tomato sauce (or 1 14-ounce can plus 1 8-ounce can)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb meatloaf mix (ground beef, pork and veal,I like ground turkey)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, plus
- additional parmigiano or romano cheese, to pass at table
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1⁄2 lb spaghetti, broken in half
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn or shredded
- Preheat a medium soup pot over medium heat; add olive oil, carrots, onions, celery, garlic and saute 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, chicken stock and cover pot; turn up heat and bring to a fast boil; while soup comes cooks make meat balls.
- Mix ground meat with cheese, bread crumbs, egg and parsley; roll into 1 1/2 to 2 inch-balls.
- Remove lid from soup and SLIDE balls into soup; bring back to a boil then stir in spaghetti; reduce heat and simmer soup 10 minutes more, until pasta is tender and balls have cooked through; Stir in basil and remove'Stoup" from heat, serve soup with bread and cheese.