Recipe by Christmas Carol
It's soup season, and this one will satisfy Spaghetti and Meatball lovers of all ages. From one of my favorite cookbooks, "Great Food From Mom's Diner"
Top Review by bmcnichol
I had meatballs in the freezer so I did not follow this meatball recipe but I followed the rest of the recipe. I used all beef broth instead of broth and water. I also used petite diced tomatoes as that is all I had. I then used 3/4 teaspoon of italian seasoning instead of rosemary and basil. I also added a bit more spaghetti then what was called for. We all enjoyed this as it was something different. This heated up nicely the next day for lunch also.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 1⁄2 quarts beef stock or 1 1⁄2 quarts broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2⁄3 lb spaghetti noodles, broken in half
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix all meatball ingredients together. Form into 1 inch balls and place in a large, deep skillet. Pour water over to almost cover. Cook over medium-high heat, turning, until done, 12-15 minutes. Drain liquid.
- Meanwhile, make soup: In a large kettle, place beef broth, 1 1/2 cups water, tomatoes (include juice), Parmesan cheese, rosemary and basil. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer 20 minutes, uncovered. Add meatballs, bring to a boil, and add spaghetti noodles. Simmer until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Serve with big chunks of garlic bread.