Recipe by evelyn/athens
Absolutely wonderful! It doesn't get any easier - or tastier - than this recipe. I made it as soon as I saw the recipe (provided by Mark Bittman) and was supremely happy with the results. This recipe is a good 'trick' to have up your sleeve when time is short and the pantry is bare.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Evelyn, without a doubt, quick, easy and delicious, definitely a new favourite for me! Even quicker if you have leftover spaghetti in the fridge (although I didn't, I made it from fresh). Lots of parmesan, a healthy grind of black pepper, I was generous with the garlic .. and oh yes, I used butter instead of the oil, so I expect that upped the calories, but oh gosh, so good!!!
Thanks for sharing, Loved this supremely easy and delicious recipe!
- 1⁄2 lb thin spaghetti
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 6 tablespoons lard
- 2 large garlic cloves, lightly smashed and peeled
- 4 eggs
- fresh ground black pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional) or pecorino cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Start the sauce in the next step, and start cooking the pasta when the water boils.
- Combine garlic and 4 tablespoons of the oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the garlic, pressing it into the oil occasionally to release its flavor; it should barely color on both sides. Remove the garlic, and add the remaining oil.
- Fry the eggs gently in the oil, until the whites are just about set and the yolks still quite runny. Drain the pasta, and toss with the eggs and oil, breaking up the whites as you do. (The eggs will finish cooking in the heat of the pasta.) Season to taste, and serve immediately, with cheese if you like.