Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
In 'The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever' by Beatrice Ojakangas
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes with their juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1⁄2 lb angel hair pasta or 1⁄2 lb spaghetti
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Crumble beef into a big skillet; add in onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring, over med-high heat for 5-10 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink; drain the fat.
- Add in the tomatoes with their juice, tomato sauce, water, parsley, seasoning, salt, sugar, and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Cover the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with 1/3 of the sauce.
- Add half of the pasta in an even layer, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of each cheese.
- Cover with another 1/3 of the meat sauce and the remaining pasta.
- Top with the remaining sauce and 1/2 cup of each cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Top the casserole with the remaining cheeses; return it to the oven and continue to bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 5 more minutes.
- Cut into squares before serving.