Recipe by "Pink Eyed" Jim Cortina
A rich, satisfying pasta dish that is cheap, nourishing, and pleasing.
Top Review by sandrasothere
This was delicious....so easy to prepare, but tasted as if a lot more effort went into it. I probably shouldn't have it as often as I'd like to, but once in awhile you gotta indulge! Update 4/22/16: I have been making this just as posted for what? 12 years! It is a staple when we're feeling indulgent. Love, love, love this..
- 1⁄2 lb spaghetti
- 4 slices bacon or 4 slices pancetta, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 dash red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- lots fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the spaghetti in salted boiling water.
- Use at least 1/2 a gallon of water.
- Cook the bacon pieces over medium low heat until most of the fat is rendered out, and bacon is slightly crispy.
- Do NOT drain.
- Add the olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, if using, and saute until garlic is barely browned.
- Beat the eggs, black pepper, and the cheese together in a bowl.
- Toss the cooked spaghetti in the pan with the oil, bacon, and garlic mixture, add the egg mixture and either turn off the heat, or cook over very low heat while stirring constantly, you want the eggs to get creamy, not scrambled.
- Serve with more grated parmigiano, if desired.