Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great pasta dish.
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 ounces bacon or 4 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese (1/2 cup when grated)
- salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta following the instructions on the package.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan and saute the onion and bacon for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and saute for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl, then stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Grate the parmesan cheese and stir it into the cream mixture.
- Stir the cream mixture into onion and bacon and cook over low heat for a few minutes, stirring constantly until heated through.
- Season to taste.
- Drain the pasta thoroughly and put into a large serving bowl.
- Pour on the sauce and toss to coat.
Excellent recipe! To all those who had a "curdy" or "scrambled egg" sauce, you just cooked the sauce too long. I noticed the egg hardening in mine too and took it straight off the stove just in time. It was still delicious. Thanks for sharing!
Tasty. I added a dab of our cream and some red pepper flakes.
I've been making this for years, but had to give it up because of the pancetta. Finally! I have found a glorious beef substitute, and I'll be back to making it full time. I've loved it since the day I found it - cheesy, smokey, eggy goodness. Its just like I ate in Italy; great balanced flavours, not to much of any one thing, so all the ingredients work together perfectly. Brilliant!