Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the owners of Al Forno Restaurant, Providence, RI
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt (to taste)
- 1 lb imported spaghetti or 1 lb spaghettini
- Bring a big pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil, garlic, and salt in a large straight-sided skillet over medium heat, stirring often.
- Keep a close watch here and adjust the heat as necessary b/c you want the garlic to slowly turn from opaque white to a slightly translucent golden without a hint of browning.
- As soon as the garlic is golden, immediately add 2 cups water; be careful you do not burn yourself as the oil has a tendency to spatter.
- Increase the heat and boil vigorously until the garlic is soft and the liquid has reduced by half.
- Taste and add additional salt, if necessary.
- Add a generous amount of salt to the boiling water; as soon as the water comes back to a boil, drop in the spaghetti.
- Stir often until the spaghetti is al dente.].
- Drain and transfer the pasta to the skillet.
- Over medium-high heat, toss the spaghetti in a aglio-olio until it is nicely coated.
- Serve immediately in heated bowls.