Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Spaghetti tossed with a fresh uncooked bruschetta style sauce and loaded with prawns, scallops and clams.
- 5 medium tomatoes, vine ripened, canned tomatoes not recommended
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup spaghetti sauce, Prego original is best
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12 clams, fresh, in the shell
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup scallops
- 1 cup prawns, large fresh shrimp will do
- 125 g spaghetti, half a box, enough for two, I prefer whole wheat
- parmesan cheese, fresh grated (optional)
- BRUSCHETTA SAUCE: Prepare earlier in the day and set aside to meld flavours. Place tomatoes in a deep bowl and pour boiling water over them. Leave for about 3 minutes then remove skins and chop into medium dice. In a non reactive bowl place diced tomatoes, minced garlic, chopped basil, sugar, Prego, salt, black pepper and olive oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature until ready to use.
- PREPARE SEAFOOD: Steam the clams in their shells in a little water, seafood bouillon and a splash of white wine - or just plain water is fine. Once they are wide open - drain - discard all clams that have not fully opened as well as the liquid and place the opened ones into a warmed bowl. Heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté scallops and prawns. Place in the same bowl as the clams.
- TO SERVE: Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain well and return it to the pot in which it was cooked. Toss with room temperature bruschetta sauce and add seafood. Place the pot back onto the still heated, but turned off burner so the sauce and spaghetti can heat through - do not allow it to cook further!
- Distribute between two pasta bowls and grate fresh Parmesan cheese over top if desired.