Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- Sift flour, salt and nutmeg together in a bowl.
- Pour eggs and 1/4 cup water into middle of flour mixture, beat with a wooden spoon.
- Add enough water to make the dough slightly sticky, yet keeping it elastic and stiff.
- Using a spätzle machine or a colander with medium holes, press the noodles into a large pot full of boiling salted water.
- Cook noodles in the water about 5 minutes or until they rise to the surface.
- Lift noodles out and drain on paper towels.
- Brown noodles in melted butter over low heat.
Excellent recipe! I have been trying for some time, with great frustration, to perfect the art of making spaetzle. Well - it is now obvious to me that it really isn't hard at all - you just need the correct recipe. This was absolutely perfect - the batter was nice and thick and not gloppy, like so many others I had previously tried. I used a spaetzle maker and it came out as good as any I've ever eaten in my favorite restaurant here in Germany.
Delicious, we had a lot of fun making it, need to get the Spaetzle maker or machine, It is very good, first time making Spaetzle, my Dh loved it, he also helped making it. Recipe is a keeper.
Yes, Another review. I made the recipe almost exactly the way you have it ~ however, I don't much care for nutmeg so I left it out. I boiled up some chicken, skimmed the fat off, added salt & pepper, some onions, diced some celery & carrots and potatos. Then I brought it to a simmer until all veggies were done. I don't have a spaetzle machine, so I improvised. I decided to try something different than a colander or cutting the dough. I have a potato ricer and I put it through that. Well let me tell you, it was a little tough as the dough was a bit thick, but I did get it through. Almost perfect. I then boiled them for about 7 minutes turned the burner off and let it cool a bit. WONDERFUL! Absolutely Delicious! I think next time I make them I will add some green onion to the dough, a great color and I bet it will taste Fantastic! Thank you for the yummy recipe!