Recipe by Rita~
This side is served with duck, roast pork or Cornish game hens. This is so tasty, easy and very quick! I do have a Spaetzle maker but if you don't use a grater or a slotted spoon.
Top Review by momaphet
This is fabulous! I too was a first time spaetzel maker and made this to go with a pork loin for Father's Day. I was easy to make - the directions are perfect. I cooked the batter in 3 batches. Everybody raved! I've had spaetzel that was gummy and this had a little chew but was also creamy tasting. I'd always heard to make spaetzle with a colander and the only hard part was my smaller colander had too small holes so I used the big one that fits in my tall stockpock - it was a bit unwieldly and it took my DH and I a bit of juggling but it worked great. Now I'm going to be on the lookout for a smaller colander with just the right sized holes for spaetzel! Thanks Rita for another great recipe. Made for ZWT 7 for the food.commandos
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk, cold
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 fresh sage leaves, Chiffinod
- 2 fresh sage leaves
- 1 onion, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil.
- Combine milk, eggs, and nutmeg in processor; blend until smooth, about 30 seconds. Add salt and flour pulsing until batter is just smooth, about 30 seconds (batter will be very thick and sticky).
- Working in batches, pour batter through slotted spoon or grater held above boiling water, pressing with spatula to form strands. Stir gently to prevent sticking. Simmer until spaetzle float to surface, then continue cooking 1 minute longer.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer spaetzle to large buttered baking dish. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.).
- Cook butter & sage in heavy large skillet over medium heat until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add spaetzle and toss until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide among plates.
- Garnish with fresh sage.
- Optional: Sauteed 1 small onion diced in the butter.