Recipe by Alan in SW Florida
Getting to know German cuisine is as easy as eins, zwei, drei. Delicate dumplings made from scratch.
- 3⁄4 cup cold whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine milk, eggs, salt, and nutmeg in processor; blend until smooth, about 30 seconds. Add flour and blend until batter is just smooth, about 30 seconds (batter will be very thick and sticky).
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Working in batches, pour batter through slotted spoon held above boiling water, pressing with spatula to form strands. Stir gently to prevent sticking. simmer until spaetzle float to surface, then continue cooking 1 minute longer. Using a slotted spoon, transfer spaetzle to a large buttered baking dish. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.).
- Cook butter in a heavy large skillet over medium heat until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add spaetzle and toss until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide among plates.