Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I serve these with sauerkraut and weisswurst or beef stroganoff.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 cup water
- 50 g butter
- Fill a large saucepan with water, add oil and bring to the boil.
- Sift the flour and salt and make a well in the centre.
- Beat the eggs, and water together adding to the flour and beat until you have a smooth mixture.
- The dough is then pushed through a spaetzle press into the boiling water. I don't have a spaetzle press but use a potato ricer with a large holed disc and swirl it over the pan of water. This works better than if you hold the ricer still.
- The spaetzle float to the top when cooked, lift out and drain before placing into a warmed dish.
- Melt the butter and pour over the spaetzle.