Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
We love spaetzle! Kind of like a pasta similar to Gnocchi. We serve spaetzle with lots of real butter and I love to add just a shake of garlic powder, just enough for a very subtle garlic flavor. You can also add a little finely chopped parsley to the dough.
- Sift flour, salt and nutmeg together in a bowl.
- Pour eggs and 1/4 cup water into middle of flour mixture,.
- beat with a wooden spoon. Add enough water to make the.
- dough slightly sticky, yet keeping it elastic and stiff.
- Using a spaetzle machine or a colander with medium holes,.
- press the noodles into a large pot full of boiling salted water.
- Cook noodles in the water about 5 minutes or until they rise to the surface.
- Lift noodles out and drain on paper towels. Brown noodles in melted butter over low heat.
I got a spaetzle maker recently and was excited to make these and they didn't disappoint!! I made these to serve along side Chicken Schnitzel. They were so good with the extra sauce I made for these to catch! It is nice to have a new fantastic new side dish rather than the usual potatoes, rice, pasta.
If you love variations on pasta then you have to try this one! I made this along with yaya's Schnitzel recipe for my family and it was also a hit. I didn't have a spaetzle machine so I tried the colander method which worked fine, but since it's so good I may have to order a spaetzle machine from online. If you make this dish I suggest having a nice German beer with it!
I lived in W Germany for several years and this was one of my favourite dishes! I was delighted to see a recipe for it here, as I have a Spaetzle machine that I have not used for ages!! It was perfect - very easy to make and just as I remember a German friend telling me how it should be done. We ate it with butter and a sprinkling of garlic granules for a very tasty supper dish. A bottle of Gewurztraminer was opened and a good night was had by all two of us! A well written and easy to follow recipe - if you do not have a Spaetzle machine - a sieve will work fine!