Strawberry Girl's Note:
from Jeff Smith's "The Frugal Gourmet: On Our Immigrant Ancestors"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Using an electric mixer, blend the eggs, lard or oil, water and milk.
- 2Stir the flour together with 1/2 tsp of the salt and the baking powder in a dry bowl.
- 3Blend this mixture into the liquid.
- 4Mix well and set aside for a moment. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 tsp of salt. Using a spaetzle maker or spaetzle press squeeze the dough into the boiling water.
- 5Use about 1/3 of the dough for each batch.
- 6When the dumplings float to the surface, they are done. Remove them with a slotted spoon and place in a colander.
- 7They can be served with way with paprika gravy or pan fried with a little butter, just until they are a bit golden, and topped with parsley.
- 8Note: These dumplings can also be made by using piping bag or dropping very small amounts from a spoon.
- 9The latter takes much longer.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaetzle
Serving Size: 1 (1121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 397.5
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 103.3 mg
- Sodium 1557.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 12.2 g