Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
from Jeff Smith's "The Frugal Gourmet: On Our Immigrant Ancestors"
Make and share this Spaetzle recipe from Food.com.
- Using an electric mixer, blend the eggs, lard or oil, water and milk.
- Stir the flour together with 1/2 tsp of the salt and the baking powder in a dry bowl.
- Blend this mixture into the liquid.
- Mix well and set aside for a moment. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 tsp of salt. Using a spaetzle maker or spaetzle press squeeze the dough into the boiling water.
- Use about 1/3 of the dough for each batch.
- When the dumplings float to the surface, they are done. Remove them with a slotted spoon and place in a colander.
- They can be served with way with paprika gravy or pan fried with a little butter, just until they are a bit golden, and topped with parsley.
- Note: These dumplings can also be made by using piping bag or dropping very small amounts from a spoon.
- The latter takes much longer.