Recipe by Bec
This is a recipe from Spa Shiki at the Lodge of Four Seasons, Lake Ozark, Missouri. There, they omit the chicken and serve it as a meatless side dish.
Top Review by Cilantro in Canada
This was very good. For personal taste I reduced the sherry to 1/4 cup and left the remaining sauce ingredients the same. We loved it. I had an extra bag of bamboo shoots so I added that to the dish. I think it this would be a very versitile recipe and you could add whatever favourite veggies you had on hand. I will definitely make this again. Thanks or the recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian oyster sauce or 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 medium carrots, cut into thin bias slices (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium stalk celery, cut into thin bias slices (1 cup)
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, trimmed and sliced (1 3/4 cups)
- 1 medium sweet red peppers (1 cup) or 1 medium green sweet pepper, cut into thin bite-sized strips (1 cup)
- 3 green onions, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon toasted* sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- For sauce, combine sherry, oyster sauce, sesame oil and salt; set aside.
- Pour the cooking oil in a wok or 10-inch nonstick skillet (add more oil as necessary during cooking).
- Preheat the wok or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots; stir-fry 1 minute.
- Add celery and mushrooms; stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Add sweet pepper and the 3 green onions; stir-fry for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes more or until vegetables are are crisp-tender.
- Remove wok or skillet from heat.
- Stir sauce, then slowly and carefully add sauce to wok or skillet, and return to heat.
- Cook and stir until bubbly, then cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Serve immediately over hot cooked rice.
- Sprinkle the stir-fry with the 1 thinly sliced green onion, if you like, and the toasted sesame seeds.
- *To toast sesame seeds, spread them in a thin layer in a shallow baking pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 7 to 10 minutes or until the seeds are ligh brown, stirring once or twice.