Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe from the Rio Caliente Hot Springs Health Spa in the Sierra Madre mountains near Guadalajara, Mexico.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup raisins, plumped in warm water
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, grated
- Wash and drain rice.
- Boil water in a deep pot, add rice, cook covered for 5 minutes over a slow flame.
- In a blender, combine milk, sugar and nutmeg.
- Add to the partially cooked rice and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid sticking.
- Add lemon juice, raisins and orange rind.
- Simmer for an additional 10 - 15 minutes, covered, or until rice is fully cooked.