Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe is from the Rio Caliente Hot Springs Health Spa in the Sierra Madre mountains near Guadalajara, Mexico.
- 2 lbs rolled oats (not the quick-cooking or instant variety)
- 3⁄4 cup pecans (chopped or broken)
- 3⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds (whole)
- 3⁄4 cup hulled sesame seeds (toasted or raw)
- 1⁄2 cup non-fat powdered milk
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl and mix.
- Add the powdered milk and mix again.
- Add the oil and honey and mix thoroughly, using your hands to turn the mixture over and over.
- Place into baking pans and bake in a slow (250F) oven for 45 minutes to an hour until.
- golden brown.
- Stir every 10 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely before storing in an air-tight container.
- Additional ingredients: Powdered soy milk or flakes, peanuts, wheat germ, bran, oat, rye, wheat or soy flakes, soy nuts, raisins, currants or other dried fruits, almonds or other nuts.
- NOTE: If you add wheat germ, the granola must be refrigerated.
- NOTE: If you add soy flakes, be sure to include them at the very end of baking as they tend to burn.