Recipe by COOKGIRl
You add the protein of your choice to this rice dish: steak, chicken, seasoned cooked tofu, tempeh, etc. Original recipe has barley and quinoa but I've subbed brown rice, millet or bulgur. Please feel free to add other veggies: carrots, cauliflower, fresh green beans, etc. The restaurant offers two topping options: cilantro pesto sauce or mushroom sauce.
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice (or optional grain, read intro)
- 2 cups steamed greens (spinach, kale, collards, etc.)
- 1 cup broccoli floret, steamed, cut up into bite size pieces
- 16 ounces steak, cubed (but you can choose any protein, cubed broiled tempeh is quite good)
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro pesto sauce (see my ¿porque No? Mexican Pesto)
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam the broccoli and set aside. Lightly steam the greens just until starting to wilt.
- Steam the tofu or saute in a little bit of oil if desired. Steam the tortillas.
- Divide the ingredients into rice bowls and declare to everyone at the table that "Soylent Green is for people"!