Recipe by maryveld
This recipe came from a Ukrainian Cook Book. My son who is a vegetarian loved it You may also make soy balls instead of patties for a variety. I added more bread crumbs than the recipe called for. I added crumbs till the mixture no longer felt sticky. I used my blender to mash the beans. You can serve these patties without the mushroom gravy accompanied on a bun. I doubled the recipe. I made 12 good size soy patties. I'm going to make it again and next I'll try adding grated carrot, and oatmeal. I'll let you know how it turns out.
- 2 cups dried soybeans, cooked
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mushroom
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak soybeans over night; change water.
- Cook soybeans until tender the following day.
- Mash cooked beans.
- Sauté the onion in 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add onion to the beans.
- Add beaten eggs, bread crumbs, salt and pepper to taste; mix well together.
- Form into small patties or balls and place in pan; brown on both sides.
- You can now serve your patties as is or you can put in a casserole.
- In a pan, in 1 tablespoon oil.
- Partly fry a medium chopped onion.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and sauté.
- Add flour; stir and add milk.
- Mix and bring to a boil, stirring until smooth.
- Pour over patties, or soyballs.
- Cover and bake at F350°F for 30 minutes.