Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Adopted Recipe! From the More-with-Less Cookbook.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked soybeans (may use canned)
- 1 1⁄4 cups tomato sauce or 1 1⁄4 cups stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large heavy skillet, heat oil.
- Saute onion, celery, green pepper and ground beef.
- When meat is no longer pink, stir in all remaining ingredients except cheese.
- Simmer for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a lightly greased casserole dish.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top and bake a little longer, until cheese is melted.
This is easy and filling. Next time I might add more cheese and a few more spices, including some garlic.
The whole family enjoyed this. I used frozen soybeans and red bell pepper instead of green. Thanks for a healthy, economical and quick dinner.
I was amazed at how good this was! I didn't realize it would be buffed-up spanish rice when I put it together. I used ground turkey and tomato sauce. Try it and be surprised!