Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Full vegetarian meal with salad and fresh baguette. Very easy to make and the most time is taken soaking and cooking the beans. NOTE salt and oil is used during soaking of beans but drained off, so did not include in ingredients.
- 2 cups dried soybeans (sorted and cooked)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (chopped, no leaves)
- 20 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup (to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- To prepare the beans.
- Inspect beans and discard any bad ones - wash thoroughly.
- Drain and place in large bowl.
- For every cup of dry beans add 3 cups of cold water and 1 tsp salt. Stir to dissolve salt.
- Soak overnight or at least 10 hours.
- Drain beans and place in a heavy saucepan or slow cooker on high.
- Add enough HOT fresh water to cover.
- Add 1 tsp salt and 2 Tbsp cooking oil.
- Cover, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer on top of stove until tender (3 - 4 hours).
- Add more boiling water during cooking if necessary.
- When tender drain off liquid and place beans in large oven proof covered casserole.
- Put all remaining ingredients in casserole and stir to combine.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour at 350°F.
I love this recipe...totally vegetarian!