Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
My friend's cook from Hong Kong made this for us. It is so fast and YUMMY! I couldn't believe how easy it was! This is a Chinese dish, so serve with rice & maybe some stir fry vegetables too! Enjoy!
- 1 whole chicken (medium)
- 1⁄2 cup dark soya sauce
- 1⁄2 cup Chinese wine (Hua Tiao Chiew Brand)
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 4 slices gingerroot, slices thick
- 3 pieces star anise
- 3 chinese peppercorns
- 2 stalks spring onions or 2 stalks scallions
- In a pot large enough to hold the chicken, put in dark soya sauce, Chinese cooking wine, white sugar, ginger slices, star anise, Chinese peppercorns, water and spring onions.
- Keep pot lidded and boil till it bubbles (about 10 minutes).
- Place chicken in the bubbling pot & keep lid on.
- Boil for 20 minutes, then turn chicken over and boil for an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let chicken rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pot and cut into appropriate size for serving.
- Retain leftover sauce from pot for additional gravy.
- Serve with fluffy steam rice.