Prep 10 hrs
Cook 12 mins
Traditional Chinese drink. Very delicious and nutritious. People usually have it during breakfast.
- Soak the soya beans in water overnight.
- Make sure that the water can always totally cover the beans.
- Whirl the beans with water in a blender little by little until a smooth mixture is obtained.
- Filter the mixture with muslin-made bag (or other fine cloth).
- Pour the mixture into a pot.
- Cook the mixture and add the sugar.
- Remove the foam floating on the surface whenever necessary.
- Take the pot away from heat when it has just boiled.
- You can enjoy the soya milk whether immediately or freeze it.
Is sugar really necessary in making Soya milk ? I do not think so. We should try to avoid sugar (particularly the refined white one) as much as possible. I have been preparing soya milk from soya beans in a machine for a year now and have never added sugar. When using the milk we add chocolate powder or an instant cocoa.
I have used the same recipe many times. It can be difficult to do very often but the results are great. I use aQ'Tessence automatic soymilk maker now and it makes it a lot easier. http://www.qtessencesoymilkmaker.com
I made soy milk for the first time last weekend. It is pretty time consuming and whether it is worth the effort if your local shop stocks the stuff is debatable. However if you don't have access to good bought soymilk then this is a very easy recipe. Better than el cheapo bought stuff. I also tried sweetening some of it wih maple syrup which works well.