Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
From my favorite now defunct magazine Veggie Life.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped carrot (about 1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 (15 ounce) can black soybeans, drained
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon tamari or 1 tablespoon other soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- cooking spray or oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey or 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Note you may also use vegetarian chicken or beef in place of the vegetable boullion.
- Preheat oven to 400F and prepare a 4 X 8 by spraying with pam.
- Mince the carrot and onion in a food processor then saute over medium heat until limp, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Grind nuts until fine but not powdery and place in large bowl. Add beans to processor and pluse until coarse. Do NOT puree. Add to bowl.
- Stir in the bread, parsley, almond butter, bouillon, thyme, tamari, garlic, salt and pepper. Use hands to combine by mixing and kneading.
- Sprinkle the loaf pan with oats. Press into pan and smooth. Bake for 30 minutes.
- In bowl stir topping ingredients and spread over loaf. Return to oven for 10 minutes. Remove to rack to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing.