Recipe by yogi
I believe this is from Martha Stewart. Kinda like french fries but so much more healthy! Be careful with broiling... the times may vary depending on how close your sticks are to the heat. We dunked ours in my Zesty Sauce recipe. Yummy!
Top Review by jamb
I used lite firm 12 oz and cut them as you said. I don't know why mine took so long (and still had a "gooey" texture)... I cooked mine 30 minutes and flipping them about every 3 minutes. They were good tasting, but the texture threw me alittle. Thank you for the recipe.
- 1 lb extra firm tofu (make sure it's the kind packed in water!)
- coarse salt
- fresh ground pepper
- ketchup (or other for dipping) or barbecue sauce (or other for dipping)
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat the broiler.
- line a baking sheet with a silpat and set aside.
- (I don't have one, and used parchment paper for the first few minutes of broiling, then transferred the sticks to a cookie sheet sprayed lightly with cooking spray) cut tofu horizontally into 4- 1/2" thick slabs.
- lay flat on paper towels and cover with more towels (use a few sheets).
- Press to remove excess moisture. I put some heavy pots on top and just let it sit for a while.
- Cut each piece into 6- 1/2" wide strips.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and season with salt and pepper.
- Place under broiler and cook, turning every 2-3 minutes until golden brown and crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with desired condiments.