Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
From Slow Cookery. We like to add steamed broccoli to the sauce and serve over rice or Asian noodles.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 small dried hot red chili pepper
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 4 medium sized turkey drumsticks (4lbs total)
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, blended with
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a slow cooker, combine onion, bell pepper, garlic, chili, and raisins.
- Rinse turkey, pat dry and arrange on onion mixture.
- Pour in sherry and soy sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours until turkey pulls away from bones.
- Lift turkey to a warm serving dish, and keep warm.
- Blend in cornstarch mixture.
- Increase heat to high for 10 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times until sauce is thickened.
- Pour sauce over turkey.
Really, really enjoyed this recipe. I find it hard to find relatively healthy slow cooker recipes and this one hits the mark. I used red pepper flakes instead of a dried chile because I had it on hand (about a teaspoon) and I doubled the garlic. I served it over whole wheat spaghetti and steamed broccoli. As you can see from the photo, the colors present beautifully on the plate.
Three notes regarding this recipe:
--Turkey legs have a lot of tiny bones. I cooled the legs and went through the meat to try to prevent anyone from finding one in their dish.
--The turkey leg meat will be on the dry side. This won't matter once you cut up the meat and throw the sauce over it BUT if you're planning on serving this without the sauce, it won't be as good.
--I had to move the sauce to the stove top to get it to boil and thicken. My slow cooker doesn't get hot enough that quickly (or I don't have enough patience).
This was excellent! I used skinless chicken thighs instead of turkey and dried cranberries in place of rasins. Did everything else exactly as instructed. It's spicy sweet garlicy goodness. I poured over soba noodles and steamed edamame. Will make again, especially when I'm busy and it's hot outside.