Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I discovered this from Donna Hay's Classics cookbook and have made it several times. It's just a really simple, delicious dish.
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon shredded ginger
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Chinese wine or 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- Place the sesame oil, ginger, soy sauce, sugar, Chinese wine, star anise and cinamon stick in a frying pan over a medium-low heat and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken and cook for 6-7 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- Serve on plates with the sauce from the pan, with steamed greens and rice.
This is fantastic! Served over rice with a side of spinach. Thanks.
My first review, albeit not my first expedition into Recipezaar's goodies... As this has had only a couple of reviews, I'm prompted to say my bit. This is so simple and so sensational. Full flavoured and subtle at the same time, Terese's chicken is a triumph. Changed nothing and used dry sherry and Kikkoman soy. With a kick-up stirfry of snowpeas, mushrooms and beansprouts, this was a fab dinner which we'll be having again soon.
I must be getting really good at picking recipes because lately we've been having amazing dinners. This is no exception Therese and yet I was unsure about using two star anise, well I needn't have worried it was perfect. I can't use any oil due to health problems with DH so I had to omit the sesame oil and I know it would have made a difference to the flavour. Well it was still wonderful without it and DH asked for it again tomorrow. Thank you for a great recipe, which by the way I already had and hadn't noticed in my own copy of Donna Hay's Classics Cookbook.