Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Notes & tips You'll need a large glass or ceramic bowl for this recipe. Rice flour is a gluten-free flour made from rice. It's available from the health-food section of Woolworths. Thai basil is available from some Woolworths and Asian grocery stores. Preparation Time 15 minutes Cooking Time 10 minutes
- 40 g sesame seeds
- 480 g pork mince
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketjap manis
- 45 g rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed finely chopped fresh Thai basil
- 2 green shallots, ends trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- peanut oil, to shallow-fry
- plum sauce or sweet chili sauce, to serve
- Heat a small non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add sesame seeds and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until toasted.
- move from heat.
- Combine the pork mince, egg, oyster sauce, kecap manis, rice flour, Thai basil, green shallot and garlic in a large glass or ceramic bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 2 hours to develop the flavours.
- Use your hands to roll 1 tablespoonful of pork mixture into a ball. Place on a plate. Repeat to make another 23 balls.
- add enough oil to a large frying pan to reach a depth of 2cm and heat over high heat. Add half the pork balls and shallow-fry for 4 minutes or until brown and cooked. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat with remaining pork balls, reheating oil between batches.
- Transfer the pork balls to a serving platter. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with plum or sweet chilli sauce.