Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 10 slices fresh gingerroot, each about 1-inch diameter and 1/4-inch thick
- Place eggs in a small saucepan of boiling water and cook for about 6 minutes. Remove eggs from the saucepan with a slotted spoon and refresh under cold running water. Peel eggs and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine soy sauces, water, sugar and ginger in a small heavy-based saucepan and bring to the boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat, add eggs and simmer, covered with a parchment paper cover for 1 hour, turning occasionally. Remove saucepan from stove and set aside, covered, for 30 minutes, turning eggs occasionally.
- Remove eggs from the saucepan, reserving 1 tablespoon of the braising stock for garnish. Discard remaining stock.
- To serve, cut each egg in half lengthways and arrange on a platter. Spoon over reserved braising stock.