Recipe by Babs in Toyland
Recipe came from Michael Johnson. I like to make this for dinner parties and everyone loves it. Serve with a nice rice pilaf and maybe some asparagus and some rolls.
- 2 (15 ounce) bottles low sodium soy sauce
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- 1⁄4 cup star anise
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs salmon fillets, thick end cut into 4 pieces when ready to cook
- chives or sliced scallion, stems (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 12 inch saute pan with a lid combine soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and star anise.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- When at a very gentle simmer, add the salmon, skin side down (liquid should almost cover the fillets).
- Slosh liquid over the fillets and cover the pan.
- Poach for 6- 8 minutes, salmon should be medium rare in center.
- Remove fillets and keep warm.
- Bring liquid to a boil and reduce to half (should be light& syrupy).
- Spoon some sauce on plate and put fillet on top.
- Drizzle a little sauce on fillets and garnish with chives or scallions.