Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I've been searching for the ultimate fried rice recipe for a long time, and I finally nailed down a version I enjoy immensely! Glazing the tofu separately gives the dish an unexpected layer of flavor, and even with that extra step, this dish comes together lightening fast. (I always use leftover rice from the night before, so cooking time does not include rice cooking time). I sometimes add diced mushrooms, too.
- 1 teaspoon walnut oil
- 12 ounces tofu, cubed
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 4 teaspoons walnut oil (or any mid to hi temp oil)
- 2 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 tablespoon peeled minced ginger
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (slightly al dente)
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 -3 cups sugar snap peas (stringy bits and blossom removed)
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 2 large eggs, beaten with a pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium tamari (or shoyu, if you prefer it sweeter)
- For the Tofu:.
- Heat 1 teaspoons oil over medium heat in non-stick pan. Add tofu and cook till seared on all sides, about 10 minutes. Stir tamari and mirin together and pour over tofu, stirring to coat well. Leave over heat till sauce bubbles up and glazes (about 30 seconds). Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- For the Fried Rice:.
- Heat 1 T. oil in a large wok over high heat. When oil is hot (almost smoking), add garlic, scallions, and ginger and cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Add bell peppers, peas, broccoli, and carrots and cook till veggies have softened a bit, about 3 minutes. Add rice and stir to mix evenly. Cook till rice is heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Push rice up the sides of the wok to clear a spot in the middle of the pan. Add remaining 1 teaspoons oil and heat for a few seconds, then add beaten eggs and cook till scrambled.
- Stir everything in the wok together well, then add tamari. Stir in glazed tofu (cook a minute to reheat tofu if necessary) and serve.
easy, fast, tasty, and healthy