Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
for asian forum prep time includes 1 hr marinating time
- 60 ml light soy sauce
- 60 ml dry sherry
- 60 ml mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 400 g lamb fillets
- 12 bamboo skewers
- 2 green shallots (optional)
- steamed short-grain rice, to serve
- Combine soy sauce, sherry, mirin and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl. Cool completely.
- Cut the lamb fillets into strips lengthways. Add the lamb strips to the cooled soy marinade and toss to coat well. Cover and place in the fridge to marinate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, soak the bamboo skewers in water. Thread the lamb onto the soaked bamboo skewers. Reserve the marinade. Preheat a barbecue, chargrill or grill on high.
- Cook the lamb skewers on the preheated barbecue or chargrill or under the grill, basting frequently with the reserved marinade, for 6-8 minutes for medium, or until cooked to your liking. Tie each skewer with a green shallot strip if desired, and serve immediately with steamed rice.