Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Similar to a stir-fry but healthier. Obtained from Everyday Food magazine.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- coarse salt
- 8 -9 medium carrots, cut into 2 inch thin lengths
- 2 (14 ounce) packages extra firm tofu, cubed
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 -2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Heat broiler.
- Set oven rack 5 inches from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Add carrots; toss to coat.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer carrots (reserve bowl with marinade) to broiling pan, keeping carrots on one side.
- A few pieces at a time, add tofu to marinade; turn gently to coat and transfer to broiling pan (reserve remaining marinade).
- Broil until carrots are tender and tofu is browned, turning tofu halfway through cooking time.
- Toss carrots occasionally (more during the last few minutes of cooking), 30-35 minutes.
- Transfer tofu and carrots to marinade bowl, add scallions, vinegar and sesame oil; toss gently to combine.
This was easy AND tasty! I left out the coarse salt and used baby carrots rather than chopping whole carrots, then garnished with sesame seeds and shaved raw carrot. The tofu ends up with a nice, meaty texture. A really nice vegan dish. Will definitely make this again.