Recipe by Sackville
This makes a superb meal when you have friends coming over. Most of the prep work can be done the day before, it only takes minutes to throw together, it's colourful and healthy. Serve with fried rice (a combination of mint, coriander and shitake mushrooms in the rice works well).
Top Review by salubrium
This was fantastic! It's been close to a year since I made this for a gathering on Mother's day. Everyone made oooh sounds when they walked in and saw it! The lime zest is an excellent touch and the taste overall was wonderful.
- 4 (170 g) salmon steaks
- 2 tablespoons oil
For the marinade
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
For the salad
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 red chile, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 140 g cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 225 g bean sprouts
- 100 g snow peas, sliced on the diagonal
- 6 -8 water chestnuts, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lime, zest of
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 2 -3 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander, plus extra to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the marinade ingredients.
- Pour over the salmon and put in the fridge for at least two hours and as long as overnight.
- Make the hot and sour dressing by putting the vinegar, chilli and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Heat gently without boiling until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat, leave to cool and then add the sunflower oil.
- While the dressing is cooling, fry the cashew nuts in a heavy frying pan until lightly browned, then add the sea salt and mustard seeds and fry for a minute or until the seeds start to pop.
- Set aside.
- In a hot pan, add the oil and let it heat up.
- Fry the salmon steaks for four minutes on each side, starting with the skin side down.
- The flesh should be moist but cooked and the top of the salmon should be a lovely brown.
- Combine all the salad ingredients and the dressing together.
- Serve piled onto each plate and topped with the salmon.