Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
Taken from 'Soups and Starters' cook book - Tasty Tip : Often overlooked, chicken wings are inexpensive and very flavourful, Served this way, with a sticky coating they make an ideal snack. Serve with finger bowls to clean sticky fingers.
- 900 g chicken thighs
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 4 cm gingerroot, fresh peeled finely grated
- 125 ml soy sauce
- 44.37 ml chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 29.58 ml clear honey
- 14.79 ml soft brown sugar
- 0.5 ml hot chili sauce (to taste)
- parsley (fresh)
- Heat a large wok and when hot add the oil and heat. Stiir-fry the chicken thighs for 5 minutes or until golden. Remove and drain on absorbent kitchen paper. You may need to do this in 2-3 batches.
- Pour off the oil and fat and, using absorbent kitchen paper, carefully wipe out the wok. Add the garlic with the root ginger, soy sauce, chinese rice wine or sherry and honey to the wok and stir well. Sprinkle in the soft brown sugar with the hot chilli sauce to taste, then place over the heat and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, then carefully add the chicken thighs. Cover the wok and simmer gently over a very low heat for 30 minutes, or until they are tender and the sauce is reduced and thickened and gazes the chicken thighs.
- Stir or spoon the sauce occasionally over the chicken thighs and add a little water if the sauce is starting to become too thick. Arrange in a shllow serving dish, garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve immediately.
I did this recipe a bit different than as written. I whisked up all of the ingredients and used it as a marinade on chicken thighs. Instead of the 2 dashes of hot sauce, I used a full TBSP of garlic chili paste (sambal oelek). I marinated the thighs for almost 24 hours then baked them in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes. They came out perfect! And the marinade is so good! This made a wonderful marinade and I also used the leftover marinade, boiled it up and whisked in a little cornstarch to make a sauce for the chicken. YUM! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe even though my technique was different. This recipe was a major hit with us and I will be making this again for sure!