Recipe by Sharon123
These make great appetizers or a yummy side dish. Adapted from BH&G magazine. To make it easier to peel squash, cut squash in half, seed, then place in microwave for about 1-2 minutes. The skin will be softer and easier to peel.
Top Review by nweis3
Made this as a side and it turned out lovely. I'm still looking for a butternut recipe that my seven year old will eat but the rest of the household enjoyed it. Leftovers were used in lunch wraps with pork roast and fresh spinach, yum!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (or other winter squash)
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, finely shredded
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 scallions, finely chopped (or green onions)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place squash in a lightly greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- In a small bowl combine orange peel, orange juice, scallions, soy sauce, brown sugar, oil, and red pepper flakes.
- Drizzle over squash, tossing to coat.
- Roast, uncovered, in a 425*F. oven for 20-25 minutes or until squash is tender, stirring several times. Stir cubes again before serving.
- Place a toothpick in each squash cube, if using for appetizers. Serve warm.
- Makes about 48 appetizers.