Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great for vegetarians, but tasty enough to please meat eaters. I adapted this from a conventional hamburger patty recipe. The Grapenuts is there to add a nice malty flavor and extra nutrition. Mushroom bouillon, if you have it, is nice too. But be creative - the joy of cooking is what you do to make it your own.
- 1 (12 ounce) package soy crumbles (I like Morningstar)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup Grape-nuts cereal or 1⁄2 cup additional breadcrumbs
- 1 bouillon cubes or 1 package onion soup mix
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon parsley or 1 teaspoon tarragon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix or 1 teaspoon your own blend seasoning (optional)
- pepper, to taste (optional)
- liquid smoke, to taste (optional)
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Mix all ingredients in medium-sized bowl (be sure to crumble the bouillon cube); let sit for 5 minutes so liquid is absorbed.
- Heat oil in skillet.
- Form patties about the size and thickness of your palm; or, drop large spoonfull of mixture into oil and flatten with spatula.
- Fry patties on both sides until golden.
- Serve as entree or with buns.