Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Most American's aren't familiar with fresh soy beans (edamame) in Chinese cooking. Here's your chance to try a dish. Don't use sliced bamboo shoots, as you have to shred them. You can serve this hot or cold.
- 12 ounces fresh shelled soybeans or 12 ounces fresh shelled edamame
- 15 ounces bamboo shoots, canned or 15 ounces fresh bamboo shoots
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 star anise
- 2 scallions
- 3 slices ginger
- 1 cup water
- Shred bamboo shoots.
- Remove membrane from soy beans by rubbing and rinse.
- Bring all ingredients except soy beans and bamboo shoots to a boil.
- Add soy beans and bamboo shoots.
- When it boils again, turn heat low and simmer for 1/2 hour, adding water to keep from burning.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with sesame oil.