Found this in a cook book I got at the library, have been using a lot of balsamic vinegar recently and this recipe appealed. The flavours are delicious and its so easy. Prep time includes marinating.
- Mix together the soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, sugar, garlic, salt and pepper until the sugar is dissolved.
- Put cleaned and dry chicken thighs in a large sealable plastic bag, add the soy mixture, force out excess air and leave to marinate for up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425F Transfer chicken and marinade to a large shallow baking pan (do not crowd chicken) then roast in middle of oven turning twice until chicken is cooked through for about 35-40 minutes.
- Arrange chicken on serving dish.
- Skim fat from the pan juices, place baking dish across 2 burners on top of stove add 1/3 cup water and deglaze over mod high heat stirring and scraping up brown bits, do this till reduced to about 1/4 cup.
- (approx 2 minutes) Spoon sauce over chicken.
- * As you can see a few have found this too salty for their taste.I suggest you use a salt reduced soy sauce if your tastes prefer a less salty dish.
Outstanding! I think this is similar to Japanese Mum's Chicken Japanese Mum's Chicken but it's ever better b/c it's baked and you don't have to watch it. I marinated 4 chicken thighs for 8 hours. I placed then skin side down for 15min. and flipped for 15min., perfect. I didn't use low sodium and I didn't think it was too salty. I followed the directions and I wouldn't change anything the next time around.
I made this tonight and it was really good. Highly recommended. Used boneless, skinless thighs and the texture was perfect and the taste was delicious. I think next time (and that won't be long from now) I'll try slicing a pocket into the thighs so that the marinade can get to the middle. This recipe is a gem.
So good!! I had 6 thighs left over from a pack of 12, so I added the marinade ingredients to the freezer bag and froze the chicken along with it. Thawed out ready to cook! After cooking, I poured the pan drippings into a saucepan and reduced it without adding water and it turned out wonderful - I couldn't get enough! I'll definitely make this again! Thank you!