Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from 'Flavours' by Donna Hay. Quick and tasty.
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons shredded ginger
- 2 red chilies, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup Chinese wine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 (6 ounce) white fish fillets
- Heat the oils in a skillet over med-high heat.
- Add ginger and chillies and cook for 2 mins, until crisp.
- Add soy sauce, wine and sugar to skillet and simmer 1 min, until sauce has thickened slightly.
- Add the fish, cook in the sauce for approx 3 mins each side or until cooked.
- Serve immediately on top of steamed rice with steamed greens.
- Optional: Sometimes I add some garlic too, together with the ginger and chillies.
Fixed this tonight for dinner and cut the recipe in half. I kept the sauce the same to put over Jasmine Rice With Garlic, Ginger, and Cilantro#214378 and served with Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cauliflower#408950. Followed the recipe except I used over a half of jalapeno, added minced garlic and topped with slivered green onions. Fantastic!! DH said "make at least once a week". Next time I would cut down on the brown sugar. Used thick tilapia. Made for Zaar Alphabet Soup Game.
Talk about a dish packed with flavor and more flavor! Holy smokes! As soon as that soy sauce hit the pan there were heads perking up in the other room, noses sniffing, and inquiring minds wanted to know what I was making for supper. I used candied ginger as I don't have the other stuff on hand. And I used canola oil as my good stuff is at my other home (we're between two houses just now). I know that may have affected the taste a bit, but I was already so impressed with the recipe it could only be BETTER! Thanks for an excellent recipe. Made for *Food Network Chefs* photo forum challenge, Jan 2010.
This is a very quick and tasty dish. I halved the recipe and used 1 teaspoon sambal oleak instead of chopped fresh chilli, I also added a finely chopped green onion at the end for taste and presentation. Will definately make this again.