Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is a delicious vegetarian alternative to stuffed bell peppers. I combined a couple of different recipes. I grew up eating bell peppers stuffed with ground beef and rice, so was looking for a meat-free version. This recipe has lots of interesting ingredients, and the addition of bulgur results in a delicious, healthy meal.
- 6 bell peppers, use peppers that can stand on their own
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimentos
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 (12 ounce) package soy crumbles
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, chopped
- 2 teaspoons small capers
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a deep pan, heat oil and sauté onion on low heat until almost clear, 3-4 minutes. Add the pimiento, garlic and celery and sauté 2-3 minutes more.
- Add soy crumbles and sauté until browned. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover and cook on medium heat until most of the liquid evaporates and the rest thickens, at least 15 minutes. Uncover and cook 5 minutes more.
- Slice off the tops of the bell peppers and set aside. Remove and discard seeds and core.
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Submerge peppers in boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Stuff the bell peppers with the sautéed crumbles, place in a greased baking pan or dish and rub olive oil over tops to keep them from charring. Cover with aluminum foil, and place in oven.
- Bake 30 minutes or until fork tender and thoroughly cooked. Remove cover and bake an additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Let sit for at least 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.