Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar or 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (2 1/4 lb) chicken, skinned and cut into 8 equal pieces
- Fire up your outdoor barbecue grill.
- In a small saucepan, combine the onions, green pepper, vinegar, brown sugar, lemon juice, salt, dry mustard, pepper flakes and black pepper; stirring constantly; bring the liquid to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes until the flavors are blended.
- Grill the chicken over hot coals, turning as needed and basting with some of the onion mixture, for about 20 minutes, until browned and the juices run clear when pierced with fork.
- Transfer the chicken to serving platter; top with the remaining onion mixture.