Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- Cut the pork into small cubes Place it in a bowl with salt, pepper, oregano and olive oil.
- Lift the meat out and thread it on small wooden skewers.
- Cook under a hot grill on both sides (about 7 minutes on each side).
- Heat the"pita" bread.
- Remove the grilled pork from the skewers and place an appropriate amount of it on each"pita" bread, along with some onion, parsley, slices of tomato, salt, pepper and some "tzatziki", if desired.
- Serve warm on individual dishes.
- Pork can be replaced with beef, lamb,or chicken.
- If you prefer, you can omit pita bread, and serve it on a plate, with rice, or french fries, onions, tomatoes and parsley.
I was unsure of what spices were in souvlaki/schwarma, but these seem pretty close. I doubted the simplicity of the spices, but this was good. I thin-sliced my pork to maximize spiciness. I didn't have tzatiki sauce (nor yogurt or sour cream), so I used low-fat ranch dressing its place. It turned out pretty well.